Hey Y’all its Abbey! I am so excited about not only the recipe that is on this post, but the woman who brought it to us via her Nonna! She’s also the reason we struggle to stick to a sugar fast in our household. A few years ago she brought my mom a bag of these candied pecans and I’m not kidding you, CarCar and I ate the whole bag in about 5 minutes. After weeks of requesting more and more batches of these addictive treats, I finally decided to give the recipe a go for myself, and we got the whole family addicted. So much so that we had a candied pecan making factory in our house weeks before my cousin, Paulina’s, wedding because she wanted them as her wedding favor!
Here’s our friend Carolyn and her recipe for “Carolyns Candied Pecans”, which should be called “Carolyns Best-Ever, Mouthwatering, to die for, Candied Pecans”
There is an unofficial start to the holiday season in our home. When my family walks in and smells the sweet and salty combination of these Candied Pecans, they know it is go time! We start our first batch the week before Thanksgiving and continue through New Year’s Eve. I have so many memories centered around this recipe from the smiles of my neighbors when they see us walking up with the little brown bags, to friends using them as party favors at weddings, to teaching the recipe to my daughter and the first year she made them all by herself. My hope is that you find the same joy that we have and that long after I have left this earth, my family savors and continues to create memories centered around Nonna’s Candied Pecans.
CAROLYNS CANDIED PECANS
(Makes 1 pound)
- 1 lb (16 oz) pecan halves
- 1 (30 ml) egg white
- 1 tbs (15 ml) water
- 1 c (201 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- Line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper
- In a large sized mixing bowl, add pecan halves
- With an electric or standing mixer, whip egg white and water until frothy
- Add to the bowl of pecan halves and mix until thoroughly coated
- Add sugar, salt and cinnamon and mix until thoroughly coated
- Spread pecan mixture on the baking sheet in one even layer
- Bake for 1 hour (rotate ½ way through)
- Immediately remove and spread the pecans on a sheet of parchment paper
- Allow to cool and set for several hours
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature
These pecans make the perfect party favor or holiday treat/gift for the office or neighborhood! Especially if you have a large number of folks that you want to gift. We love these diamond cut jars and they come in 3 different mini sizes. We used the 6 oz jars for Paulina’s wedding.
- 4 oz Ball Quilted Crystal Mason Jar
- 6 oz Ball Quilted Crystal Mason Jar
- 8 oz Ball Quilted Crystal Mason Jar
And here are the gold 6 oz hexagon jars that Mom just ordered to give to her staff. So yes, the factory will be re-opening this week.