This recipe is my dad’s, but I learned it by watching my mom make it. My morning show partner, Bill, actually wrote it out for me several years ago, and we’ve been sharing it ever since! This recipe is a bit of a “sweeter” chili because of the pork n beans.
- 2 lbs ground round
- 1 medium yellow onion
- McCormick ORIGINAL chili packet
- 1 large can (31 oz) Van Camps Pork & Beans
- 2 cans (16 oz) Bush’s Pinto Beans
- 1 can (16 oz) Bush’s Dark Red Kidney Beans
- 1 can (16 oz) Bush’s Light Red Kidney Beans
- 1 large can (28 oz) Hunt’s Whole (Peeled) Tomatoes
- 1 bottle (2.5 oz) McCormick Chili Powder
Brown the ground round. Drain and rinse with hot water. Set aside.
Chop onion into frying pan. Add the McCormick chili packet, then fill empty packet with water and add.
Brown onions in the seasoning mix.
Add cooked ground round and heat.
Drain all cans of beans; remove pork fat from Pork & Beans.
In a large crock pot, stir: Van Camps Pork & Beans, Bush’s Pinto Beans, Bush’s Dark Red Kidney Beans and Bush’s Light Red Kidney Beans. Hand-crush Hunt’s Whole Tomatoes into medium-sized chunks, add to crock pot.
Add browned meat and onions and 1⁄2 bottle (or to taste) McCormick Chili Powder.
Cook all day and serve with sour cream and melted cheese.